Advertisement

Barberton’s Cherry Blossum canceled over safety concerns. Fights at last year’s event.

Author

Date

Category

 The Real Reason Barberton Cherry Blossom was Cancelled

Bebe Heitic stated that the reason Barberton Cherry Blossom was canceled was the fact the Barberton Jaycees and the City could not agree to permits based upon safety concerns. Last year, there was a major confrontation in the McDonald’s parking lot. About 20 people surrounded a car and the people would not move or leave. So they had to be pepper-sprayed. There were several other incidents during last year’s event.

The weather was warm and the crowds were large last year. About 40,000 attended the festival bringing in about $2 million dollars into the community. The Barberton Jaycees make about $50,000 from the event which funds kids without school supplies and other community programs.

Shaun “Rocky” Jaber, said that the city did not try very hard to keep the festival. In previous years, the Barberton Police and the City have expressed doubts about continuing the festival due to security concerns. There has been trouble and fights over the past five years.  Kenmore Days held the following weekend after Barberton Cherry Blossom was canceled two years ago due to safety concerns.

Barberton Police have a legitimate safety concern. And the Mayor is right. If it is not safe, Barberton residents will stay home. Only the outside trouble-makers will attend.

The Jaycees offered to pay for more police, but Barberton City officials said that they could not guarantee that they could provide enough Barberton Police. In other words, you can not force overtime. 

The Barberton Jaycees offered to hire outside security but the police union would not allow this. One can conclude that City officials did not want the event in its present form. Barberton City officials have legitimate safety concerns!

5 COMMENTS

  1. The Jaycees offered two solutions and it sounds like the city shut them down! Apparently they just don’t want to be bothered. More police or security would make a major difference.

  2. Interesting article. Has any thought or consideration been given to closing the carnival at dusk or just not having it at all and re gearing to some other type of festivities and entertainment instead of just ending the entire thing ?

  3. Poor management.. the City officials have no back bone.. if some punks start problems, learn to handle them forcefully. Its called keeping your City Safe… If you cant do the job.. get the heck out.. Real Poor Management..,

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Mike Bodnar
Mike Bodnar
Admin of BarbertonJournal.com Ed: Barberton 1972. Ohio Northern University 1977 BS in Pharmacy. Retired Pharmacist. Grew up on the Northend and Crissman Park. I love Barberton and always will.

Recent posts

Embattled Property Runs Out of Time with City Hall

Last Monday, the City Council meeting became something of a hearing for an embattled property on the east side of Barberton. ...

Bethany McKenney Has Earned Our Votes! – by Andy Bodnar

Since she was elected in 2018, Republican Councilwoman Bethany McKenney has been tireless in her service to our community. She is...

Barberton Notes…

Great story about how many people rallied for Tommy on Saturday. A parade was formed at East Elementary School to travel to...

New Horizon Credit Union Now Open in Norton Plaza

New Horizon Federal Credit Union, in Barberton, is opening its second location at 4160 S Cleveland -Massillon Rd, Norton, Ohio 44203. ...

Retention Pond Works at Foundation Field

Speaking about the Barberton flood challenges in 2019, Brianna Rummer commented that Barberton was known for two things: “its chicken and flooding”....

Recent comments